Wednesday, October 10, 2007

How to get started when you have "brain freeze"

So what to do if you have "brain freeze"? Can't think of a layout? Well theres a few things you can do...

1) Go through magazines/catalogs/sales papers for layout ideas. You'll know which ones will pop out at you. Maybe its the layout, color or even the picture...

2) Go through old layouts (when I say old I mean OLD) and ask yourself what you would've done to make it better. Maybe added an embellishment or moved the picture over, etc.

3) Visit your favorite scrapbooking site, blog, store, etc. I usually go to Acmoore because if you walk down the scrapbooking aisle (I believe at Michaels as well) they have examples up above the scrapping supplies on the wall. This is perfect because since you're there you can brainstorm using those ideas and pick up the supplies right there.
By logging onto your favorite website you can get tips and techniques that may zap some inspiration.

4) Go to your favorite bookstore. My boyfriend and I always have to stop at Barnes n Noble or Boarders before we head home from any trip, or even if we just so happen to be around one. As he heads towards the Computer Science section I head over to the Arts and Crafts section. Even though scrapbooking may have only one small bookcase of books to choose from, I always find something worth buying. The books are never that expensive (they usually range from $10-30) and always have great ideas and tips.

5) Yearbooks... Yeah I know what you're thinking.. how can a yearbook inspire a layout. Well dust it off because believe me, a yearbook is just an expensive digital scrapbook for your high school. I worked on the yearbook staff all throughout high school and became the sports editor my senior year. It was my high and also my escape when I didn't want to sit in a boring class. Each yearbook page consisted of a background, title, "journaling", captions, and pictures. So go through your yearbook and see if maybe there may just be a layout you can work with.

Hope this helps you jump start a page if you have "brain freeze". Until next time, keep scrappin!

No comments: